Monday, July 6, 2015

Harry Pottery Nursery "Monday Made It!" - July 6, 2015


It's summer and I hardly have my mind on back to school yet, so I'm I'm linking up with Fourth Grade Frolics and sharing some cute crafts I've been working on for my son's room!

When I first started to think about theme, it went something like this......"What if it's a boy?"...Harry Potter works! "What if it's a girl?"...HARRY POTTER STILL WORKS! Huzzah! A nursery theme was born!

At first, I knew I wanted dark furniture and a quote on the wall above the crib. The beautiful thing about a child's room is that it doesn't need to be complete by the time they arrive, they have no clue! So, here I am 6 months later, with more time to do it, and it's coming along! Here is the before:



We painted the walls yellow, added neutral carpet, a light blue ceiling, and this quote from my dear Albus. Then my mom made a HP theme rocker out of my little rocker from my childhood, and I received tons of books! I found the light at this sweet local light store and my husband installed it for me. (Yay, Engineers!)



From that point on, I didn't do much with the room, until I knew I was sure of what I wanted. My mother-in-law made a HP theme quilt for the bed, a snitch diaper holder, and I bought an owl mobile. Then...this happened....

I saw some cute HP prints online that I wanted, but they were sold as flat, framed prints, and I wanted them to be canvas and hand painted. So, I...eh, hem...."borrowed" the idea and made my own for my little Douglas!


Acrylic paint, a small 8" x 10" canvas, and a little bit of artistic flair and VOILA! Hagrid, Dumbledore, Harry, and the Dark Lord were drying on my mantle after a few nap time craft sessions.


The next thing I needed was an original idea and a little bit of personalization SO, I got a wooden letter and went to town with acrylic paint and printed pictures of the HP book covers to Mod Podge on.




Lastly, just a few details and original ideas of my own to round it all out....a map (from pine board, printed map, Mod Podged it on and painted the writing at the bottom), and a famous book quote!!




 Of course, being the perfectionist that I am, I had to trace everything and lay it out on paper until I was satisfied with the arrangement...


......................Satisfied!


... then I hung everything up in D's room using 3M Command picture frame stickies (handy little velcro things that won't damage my 100 year old walls!) I hung the broom, (a gift from my sweet friend The Short and Sassy Teacher), from the ceiling using 3M Command clear hooks and fishing line, the snitch is also on a clear Command hook (it's meant to be a car antenna topper! - I love repurposing!)

Now, where to put the sorting hat, the growth chart, and a directional sign....

Talk soon!


15 comments:

  1. Everything looks SO ca-ute! Absolutely perfect for your little family!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I love it! I am HUGE Harry Potter fan! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So glad you like it! I can't take complete credit, but I'm definitely a fan of how it turned out. :)

      Delete
  3. ADORABLE and SO creative! I love, love, love!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison! The room needed a little "something" :)

      Delete
  4. What an awesome space!! I love all your thoughtful touches and connections to the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It pays off to take your time and see what develops! :)

      Delete
  5. My 11 year old daughter is SO jealous of this awesome nursery! A room your child can grow in to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Your child will love all the personal touches!

    My Bright Blue House

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harry Potter is one of my favorite things and this nursery is so perfect! I am pinning all of these images for when my husband and I start our family! Thanks for all the inspiration!
    Alley
    Teaching to Engage

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG love this nursery. The paintings are AMAZING!!

    Anisa @ Creative Undertakings

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, this nursery!! In fact, tis the best nursery I've ever seen. Please post any future Harry Potter projects you complete, because I'm already stealing some ideas from this one for my home!

    ReplyDelete