Monday, August 4, 2014

Monday Made It! 8/4/14 {Shared Supplies}


DID THAT BLOG TITLE REALLY JUST SAY AUGUST? August only means one thing to teachers on summer vacation....the days are dwindling....and according to Calvin, I have to come out of the coffin.


I, however, have been in B2S mode since the beginning of July. I moved my classroom down the hall and we had some major changes happening in the building. Plus, I got bored with my old classroom stuff and needed some new things.

SO, I'm linking up with 4th Grade Frolics again this week to bring you my "Monday Made It"! Two weeks in a row! That's a record for me!


Last year I had more of an "owl" theme than a Harry Potter theme. I don't really know how that happened, seeing that my original idea was to have a Harry Potter room. Alas, most of the gifts and things I received from students last year were all owls. Although I love and appreciate any and all gifts, the owls were a little out of control. The plan for this year, more Harry, less Hedwig.


We are starting this year with brand new tables in first grade. I'm pretty excited to have them. Our old desks were outdated and a mess. They didn't stay propped open and always SLAM-SLAM-SLAMMED all day. So now the new conundrum.....how to do this whole "table and shared supplies" thing?!

I started out knowing that I did not want my students to have a million supplies to play with on their tables all day, so I purchased mini caddies for $2.99 each at Hobby Lobby. You can order some {here}! I bought the neon green to match some things I already have in my room. They only had blue in my store. I will keep scissors, glue, markers, etc. in these bins and keep them on a shelf off the tables until we need them.



I also knew that I wanted my students to have pencils and crayons on the tables all day, so I purchased small crayon bins (2 per table) at the Dollar Tree. They were only $1 for a set of 4! So I bought 3 sets. SCORE! I got them in the store, but the pickings were getting slim. I think teachers stalk out the Dollar Tree waiting for shipments. You can order in bulk on their website {here}! I, again, purchased the neon green which magically matches the Hobby Lobby bins! I love it when things work out for me that way!!


And then the decorating and labeling began. Here's what I've ended up with for each of my tables!!

{Crayon bins for each table}

{Supply bins, one per table}

I'm ready to get these things in my room and see how they work out! Now to go check on what other people are making!! :)

Talk soon,

2 comments:

  1. SUPER cute. I always love Harry! Table managers are great classroom jobs for people with shared supplies. They can be your 'supply runner' and grab what is stored elsewhere around the room when you need some supplies that isn't an arms length away.
    You impress me always :)
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have three "owls" at each table that have jobs - supply runner, pencil grabber, paper passer. I think this will work out well. I'll just switch which color does what job each week. Fingers crossed!

      Delete