Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Tune into Technology Linky Week 1: Integrating Technology Into Reading



Today I'm linking up with Kristin at iTeach1:1 for her Tuesday summer linky party, Tune Into Technology! If you want to link up and blog along, go visit Kristin's blog, grab the graphics, and let's go! Here are the weekly topics:


This week's topic is using reading in technology. There are two very important ways that I use reading technology in my first grade classroom. Last year my district adopted the Houghton Mifflin CCSS series, Wonders. While I'm not always a fan of a basal series, I am a fan of all the awesome technology I get to use on the iPads and SMARTboard in my classroom. To start, I get to make all of my plans, input my students, and choose all of the resources I like to pull up on my SMARTboard. This is so much nicer for my firsties than the typical, "Get out your book. Open to page 134. Stephanie, please read for us." BORING!!! There are several different voices that read aloud for students for when they are sick of my voice :), which (let's face it) does happen!!



Here are some things I have my firsties do:

1.) They love to practice their grammar with the online games and resources. Another class favorite is the grammar song, which we all clap and sing along to!




2.) My students can use the iPads to access the Wonders app to read their stories for the week, and have access to their guided reading books both in the classroom and at home! They love to play the games on the Wonders app that match the skills we are practicing for the week as well. I often use this during literacy centers time.



The second thing I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to use in my classroom for reading is Scholastic News. Each year every first grader gets a subscription to Scholastic News, a print magazine for students with plenty of informational text. Each month has 4 issues related to things happening that month. For example, there will be an issue about Spring, weather, and St. Patrick's Day in the March issues.


Although my students get the print issue, I do the entire lesson on my SMARTboard using the online resources on scholastic.com. It has plenty of little "extras" such as vocabulary words highlighted in purple that students can click and hear a definition and see a picture to match the word. My students love to come up to the board and choose the answers to the quizzes on the back of each issue, as well. There is a skills game and a opening (preview) video for each issue for students to enjoy as well. 


Can't wait to see all the new ideas that I can integrate into my classroom! Go link up! 

Talk soon,

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome that your kiddos have access to all those online books, songs, and games! Great way to differentiate. I will have to look into Scholastic news for next year. Love that you use both the print and online version. Thanks for linking up with us!

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you use both the online and print versions of Scholastic news! I'm sure it makes your kiddies that much more excited to get their hands on that text!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you first graders get to do so much online with your reading series! How perfect that you can do both print and an online version for Scholastic. I have thought about using Scholastic News to help bring in more non fiction and now that I know there is a tech option as well as the print I might just have to go ahead and do it! Thanks so much for sharing and thanks for linking up!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda - it's pretty sweet and SN is wonderful for all grades. It's worth the subscriptions!! We have out kids donate money to pay for it and the parents love the magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,
    The combo of having paper and digital magazine is fantastic. Kids like having there own, but the ability to big screen it, plus al the links is just the tops.

    I'm going to have to check out Wonders too.

    Thank
    Matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete