Friday, October 11, 2013

Fabulous Fall and Five for Friday! 10/11/13

Another week has come and gone! It's been full of a reading unit review, measurement in math, and community helpers in social studies. Next week is Columbus, Fire Safety and our firefighter visit. There is always so much going on, that I enjoy posting 5 things from my week to debrief and be proud of my kids and their accomplishments. I also love being inspired by what others post! I'm currently on the hunt for cool Halloween math project for Halloween week....With that said, here's my 5 linked up with Doodle Bugs Teaching!


1
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow has been a tradition for the past 6 years in my classroom. My students love the story and I love tying in the genre of legends during the Halloween season. This is the version I read, as it is not too scary and is not violent at all. It took just over a week, and we finished last Tuesday!


2
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - the movie! I show the cartoon movie from my childhood. It was put out by Rabbit Ears Storybooks in the 1990s (available on DVD) and is narrated by Glenn Close. Can you just see how attentive my students are? Not one word uttered during the 30 minute film.....and cheers at the end! Great way to connect text to video and discuss differences!


3
"My Monster" writing and craftivity. This week we focused on descriptive writing. We began with the read aloud I Need My Monster. Then, made our own monsters. Don't they look adorable hanging up in the classroom?! This is the perfect book if you have children that are afraid of the dark as well. It's a boy who NEEDS his monster to fall asleep, but he's on vacation! Simply adorable.



4
Scarecrow "Fall is..." writing. Again, descriptive sentences using our senses. My favorite is below and says "Fall is leafy."




5
Community helpers writing - one of my students wrote about teachers and drew...ME! Here I am with my fabulous long ponytail (I have short red hair), Halloween dress (because I love Halloween so much), 6 fingers on each hand, and long, pink fingernails (I bite my nails and keep them as dark as possible)! *THIS IS WHY I LOVE FIRST GRADE!!!*


I hope everyone had an inspirational and productive week. Enjoy your Monday off in honor of Mr. Columbus! That's all for now!

4 comments:

  1. That monster book is AWESOME! I'm waiting for a week or so before I read it with my kids (and my own kids too). Very Cool.

    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt - I agree! This book is incredible!!!

      Delete
  2. Those little green monsters are adorable! Love your fab long ponytail and pink fingernails- Ooo La La!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! Can't wait to see some of your cutie Halloween things! Keep me posted!

      Delete