Thursday, July 11, 2013

Great iPad Apps for Classroom Management!

Oh how I love a good iPad app! Not only do my iPads keep my students engaged while I can differentiate instruction or provide small group assistance, but they are actually learning rather than simply wasting time until I can get to them. 


That being said, today I'm linking up with iTeach 1:1 for the "Tune Into Technology" linky party. Today's topic?? iPads!!!! WOO WEE! Today, I'm including some of my favorite classroom management apps, because I truly believe that a happy classroom relies on respect for the rules and a fun atmosphere. That way everyone gets a chance to learn!!  

*I teach first grade, but I think that every classroom needs routine and consistency. This app gives teachers and students a customizable visual display of your day's events. This is perfect for students on the spectrum, as you can link a video or activity schedule to your daily planner to provide more support.


*I plan on using this fancy app this year to track student behavior in my room during my independent literacy centers and guided reading time. It's available on the computer, iPad, iPod, etc. You can project your class and their own personal avatars on the board. Whenever you see a child doing something good, you can reward their avatar. It adds up points and says what they did that was good! If a child is not following the rules, they will lose a point. I like this because students always have a chance to earn points, even if they aren't having the best day. The best part is that teacher don't have to "call out" the good behavior. Students love to peek up at the board to see who is getting points and for what and they can self-monitor. Sounds like a lot of work but I think once I'm in the routine it will work!


*This app monitors the sound level in your classroom. You can adjust the sensitivity of the microphone to suit your preferences. If the noise is suitable there will be a smiley face, if not, the graphic image will change. This is the perfect app for libraries and computer labs! I like to use it during my required independent reading time as well!


I can't wait to see what others have posted so I can add them to my own classroom iPad "wallet"!
Talk soon!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up these great classroom management apps! I can't wait to try out "Visual Schedule Planner"-I can see this being incredibly helpful for many of my students! :) Thanks for linking up!

    Amanda
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,
    Aren't iPads just so fun? I love the Visual Schedule Planner idea-- what a great resource for any classroom!
    Thanks so much for linking up with us!
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IPads are great!! Looking forward to linking more :)

      Delete
  3. Too Noisy looks like a neat app. I've never heard of it before. Thanks so much for sharing-I will have to check it out this summer.

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a look. I like that it's customizable because what I think is "too noisy" others may not. It's neat!

      Delete
  4. These are all great management apps! I'm sure the visual schedule planner would work really well with a couple students I'll have this year who are on the spectrum. Happy to have another IL blogger to connect with! Thanks for linking up with us.:)

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love linking up with my fellow Illinois teachers :) We can all relate to a lot of similar issues! Look forward to reading your blog more often!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, my class needed the sound monitoring app last year! I had 1 student who consistently read out loud to herself during read to self. When I asked her to please read to herself...she looked around and said, "I am." Sassypants!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally want to check out the Too Noisy app.
    ~April Walker
    The Idea Backpack

    ReplyDelete