Monday, July 8, 2013

My Favorite Primary School Character Education Books!

Thanks to First Grade and Fabulous for hosting one of the best linky parties I participate in! My ever-growing list of books I wish to get for my classroom keeps growing every week!!



One thing I absolutely LOVE-LOVE-LOVE about teaching first grade, is the chance to mold their minds and form positive habits. Bully Prevention is a huge push not only in my district, but all over the world right now! Here are some of my favorite books to read to my kiddos to make them realize they are special and so is everyone else!

#1: You Are Special by Max Lucado
This is a story about the Wemmick's who go around every day giving others star stickers for being popular, or dot stickers for being different than the others. So, sadly, all the special Wemmick's have a bunch of icky gray dots while the popular Wemmicks have shiny gold stars. Punchinello is a dot Wemmick who meets a very special Wemmick - one who stickers don't stick to! Although it has religious sub-tones, there is no mention of God in this story. It's a great book to introduce students to the idea that they were all made by someone special (I talk about parents and family..not God), and that others should not be able to judge them. SUPER CUTE!


#2: Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns About Bullies by Howard Binkow and Susan F. Cornelison
This story follows one of my favorite rabbits, Howard. When he's being picked on by a pair of pig bullies, Howard learns to "be brave, be told, a teacher must be told". ADORABLE!


#3: Whoopi's Big Book of Manners by Whoopi Goldberg
A hilarious way to teach children the basic manners. This story has a FANTASTIC ending that kids love! 


#4: Ruby the Copycat By Margaret Rathmann
This story helps students learn how to cope with copycats in a helpful, not hurtful way. We've all been there!!


#5: The Boy Who Wouldn't Share by Mike Reiss
The illustrations in this book are just priceless! A boy learns how to share...a great lesson book for all students. My kids constantly had this book checked out from my class library and into their book boxes ALL YEAR LONG!!!

Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to follow my blog!

6 comments:

  1. OHH I love Max Lucado books--great suggestion. I need to check into the boy who wouldn't share. I just had a conversation with my SEVEN year old about doing better!! UGH! ;)

    Thanks for linking up!

    ღDeAnne
    First Grade and Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone, no matter what age, can always use a lesson in sharing whether it be toys, food, or the bedsheets with the husband! Lol! Thanks for the comment! I love your blog!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting about Max Lucado's book! It's one of my favorites, and a great way to remind kids to be careful how much value they place on what others think of them.

    -Amanda
    Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read the book Ruby, The Copy Cat. So glad to have seen it here!

    24/7 Teacher: Amy Harrod

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily - I am happy to have found your blog through this linky party! I am going to go check out some of those books to use at the beginning of school! Thanks for sharing!
    Laura ~ First Grade Spies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Glad to link up with you too!

      Delete